How Schools Could Be Improved: Part 2

There are countless ways schools could be better. Over the year, I have written many articles which talked about the differences schools could make. For the last three weeks of school, I decided to combine all my ideas into three articles. In my last article, I suggested starting school later in the morning and adding vending machines to every school’s campus.

Here are three more ways schools could be improved:

The Dress Code

Almost every school has a dress code. While some dress code rules are reasonable, other aren’t. For example, in Hale’s dress code policy, we aren’t allowed to show our shoulders. Many students are against the school’s dress code and allowing the school to decide what we can and can’t wear.

In the “real world”, a lot of jobs do not even care what you wear to work. Even a few teachers will occasionally ‘break’ our school’s dress code. According to news.fresno.edu, “Some employers—some dotcom companies, for example—care less about how their employees dress and more about their work. In addition, as technological advances continue, some traditional corporations encourage employees to work at home, with no dress codes required.” Many people say that schools are preparing its students for the “real world.” However, it is obvious schools are sometimes more harsh than an actual job. The dress code should be removed for this reason.

Dress codes take away students’ freedom to wear what they want. For example, a student might want to wear tank tops, but because of the dress code, they are not allowed to.  According to www.seacoastonline.com, “Sometimes, it can happen that a uniform can rob a person of his or her individuality and self-expression. With all said and done, a person’s choice of clothing is a significant example of his or her personality, individuality, etc.” Schools should allow students to express themselves however they want. I personally have a problem with the dress code, since I found this cute dress for graduation but its sleeves are too thin. I understand that some clothes could be inappropriate, but considering we can’t even wear a tanktop in the summer is ridiculous.

Schools’ dress codes should be less strict.

Four Day Weeks

Every Monday, students find themselves wishing for Friday. They just had a break but are still exhausted. The weekend didn’t give them enough time to rest, even with two days off. They still had to do homework and spend time with their family. There just wasn’t enough time for an extra nap.

This is the scenario most students find themselves in every weekend. Schools don’t seem to care. However, if we were given a three day weekend and a four day school week, students would have more time to both rest and enjoy themselves.

There would be less absences in a four day school week, than there would in a five day school week. According to education.seattlepi.com, “Some have seen attendance improve as families schedule appointments such as doctor visits on the free day. In addition, high school athletes who used to miss school on Fridays for game travel are now able to attend all classes.” Absences always have a chance of negatively impacting a student’s grade. However, with an extra day in the weekend to schedule your appointments, students will be less likely to have to miss school or go home early. Plus, schools do get paid for their students’ attendance.

While some people would argue that a four day school week would make it harder for parents to care for their kids, it may actually make it easier. According to brandongaille.com, “The average time for school that is scheduled in a 4-day week is either 7:30am-5pm or 8am-5:30pm. This schedule works much better for parents, who often have that working schedule themselves. Parents can drop-off their kids in the morning, then pick them up in the afternoon, without worrying about work.” Many parents have to start work late or leave early to pick up and drop off their students from school. However, if the school schedule was made to be more similar to theirs that wouldn’t be as much as a problem. Yes, students will be home one day while their parent is at work, but most teens could take care of themselves.

Schools would be way better off if they had four day school weeks rather than five.

Phones

Almost every middle school student has a phone. Close to one hundred percent of the students with phones bring their phones to school every day. They stay off in students’ backpacks throughout the whole day. However, a lot more could be done if teachers incorporated them into their class.

With access to the internet, students could do a lot of research with their phones. On  oxfordlearning.com, it states, “Cell phones can give students access to more information, letting them research more about a topic while having class discussions. This is especially true for current events that have not yet been covered in school textbooks.” A lot of the time teachers assign research to be done over the internet as homework. However, if students were allowed to do the research at home, a lot of time would be saved.

Phones offer important tools, that would otherwise have to be carried around to every class. Phones have calculators, stop watches, dictionaries, and as stated above, the whole internet!

Teachers should allow students to use their phones more often in class.

I know HTML