Filed under Hale

Schools Should Start Later So Teenagers Could Get More Sleep

It is recommended that teenagers around nine to nine and a half hours of sleep each night. However, the average teen only gets seven. The early start time of school is probably the most obvious reason for this lack of sleep. If schools started later, students may actually have a chance to have a healthy sleep schedule. Unfortunately, schools do not understand the importance of sleeping. There are many negative outcomes of being sleep deprived.

People who do not get enough sleep won’t be able to focus on things and learn as well as someone who does get enough sleep. According to www.sleepfoundation.org, “Not getting enough sleep or having sleep difficulties can limit your ability to learn, listen, concentrate and solve problems. You may even forget important information like names, numbers, your homework or a date with a special person in your life.” For students, this means that they won’t do as well as they could in school. I have seen a lot of students take a nap rather than do their work or focus on a lesson. When students come to school and all they can think about is how tired they are, then they will have little or no motivation to actually participate.

Because of the point above, it is a popular belief that students who get more hours of sleep achieve better grades. On aasm.org, a study proves this point, “According to the results, students reported sleeping, on average, 7.6 hours per school night, with 48 percent reporting less than eight hours. Hours of sleep per school night were significantly positively associated with GPA and level of motivation.” Since tired students aren’t doing as much work, they won’t be as prepared for their tests. Plus, as stated in the paragraph above, students could easily forget about dates of tests or homework assignments.

A lack of sleep could cause people to be more moody. On childmind.org, it says, “Along with a lack of sleep goes the ability to exercise self-control — over one’s emotions, impulses and mood. Dr. Ryan C. Meldrum, an assistant professor in the Department of Criminal Justice at Florida International University, found a link between short sleep duration, late bedtimes, and poor overall sleep quality and aggression, impulsivity, and being short-tempered.” Nobody wants to come to school in a bad mood. To students, school already is bad enough place. It would be even worse to be in a bad mood all day just because you had to wake up early and go to the one place you hate.

Sleep deprived people are more likely to get sick. According to www.mayoclinic.org, “During sleep, your immune system releases proteins called cytokines, some of which help promote sleep. Certain cytokines need to increase when you have an infection or inflammation, or when you’re under stress. Sleep deprivation may decrease production of these protective cytokines. In addition, infection-fighting antibodies and cells are reduced during periods when you don’t get enough sleep.” It seems like the relationship of getting sick and having a lack of sleep would only be a myth, but this source scientifically proves that it is not. As someone who gets colds often, I could tell you it is not fun. Plus, students miss a lot of school when they are sick and miss out on important lessons.

Schools should start later so that students may get more sleep.