How To Survive Middle School (Academically)

Compared to elementary school, middle school is a whole different beast to manage. The challenge that comes with managing yourself and getting your priorities straight is a tough thing to master. But you know what they say about failure, it is a great learning tool. I have failed in many ways throughout middle school and learned some things which I will attempt to pass on to you (my student) today.

Now the first and most important thing you need in middle school is to be organized. If you don’t consistently keep your stuff in the same place and can’t keep track of things in your backpack, have fun trying to find super important assignments. If I had a dollar for every time I see people turn in stuff late because it’s deep in the bowls of their backpack, I’d be rich enough to afford private school. Now there’s the other organization, not material organization, that you need to master.

You need to master organizing your time, especially your schedule. if you have multiple things to do say over a week, set your priorities straight. Say you have a project due Friday, a worksheet due Tuesday, and a test on Wednesday, assume it’s Monday. First thing you’ll want to get out of the way is the worksheet. Second study for your test and finally on like Wednesday or Thursday you can study for your test. This might sound like common sense to you, but if you actually spend your time reading school newspaper articles it’s safe to assume you’re intelligent.

The second thing you’ll want to do may be really easy depending on who you are. But for the best junior high experience, do your best to get into the honors program. This is a must to do successful in school and in your late school years and career. From what I’ve heard from my friends in the regular program, the whole class is a nightmare. It’s basically a shouting fest of mindless teenage boys raging with hormones releasing their anger for the whole period as the teacher’s feeble attempts to organize the class are cut short by ceaseless jokes and other mind numbing distractions.

Now for those of you not in honors, it isn’t as hard as you may think to get in. The most important thing you must realize is that it takes a ton of hard work. There are programs like AVID which you can use to try and more easily get into the honors program. Just get into one of these tougher programs and score high, that will make you stand out as a potential honors candidate. Just put in the work and eventually you’ll reap what you sow.

The last thing you’ll need to do to be successful in school is make connections. This ties back to my previous article on how to survive the social aspect of middle school struggle, but friends with benefits are a great way to ease you through the year. Make sure you have some smart and hard working friends who you can kindly take advantage of. Have them hook you up with answers, help you study, and help you understand things you may not.

These are the basics to surviving middle school and hopefully this helped you out in your oh-so-fun middle school experience.