Filed under Hale

Schools should ban homework

One problem many students are forced to face, is getting too much homework everyday at school.

Students do not have enough time to do their homework. According to www.debate.org, “There is only 24 hours in a day. Children and teenagers need about 10 hours of sleep. That leaves 6 hours to be awake at home. Many students struggle to finish homework in less than three hours. The other three hours would be for eating, showering and preparing themselves to go to sleep.” After students get their homework done, they barely have any time to relax. I personally enjoy to spend a little time reading and texting on my phone after school, however I only have time to choose one of those two options due to a lot of homework.

Homework may cause unnecessary stress. Researchers surveyed more than 4,300 students at ten different high schools, according to www.healthline.com, “When it came to stress, more than 70 percent of students said they were “often or always stressed over schoolwork,” with 56 percent listing homework as a primary stressor. Less than 1 percent of the students said homework was not a stressor.”  Schools should pay attention to what their students think. If their students say that their homework is stressful, maybe schools should not assign as much of it.

Homework can encourage cheating. According to www.teach-nology.com, “Too much homework can encourage cheating because children end up copying off one another in an attempt to finish all their assignments. They then end up being rewarded for cheating which doesn’t benefit them at all.” Students should get a zero on their assignment if they’re caught cheating, however, since students do their homework at home there is no way for a teacher to prove if a student is actually cheating.

Homework reduces the time students can spend with their families. According to www.teach-nology.com, “Secondly, it reduces the amount of time that children could be spending with their families. Family time is especially important to a growing child and without it social problems can crop up and a family unit can be compromised by a lack of time being spent together.” If schools didn’t hand out as much homework, students would get more time which they could spend hanging out with their families. Personally, I know how much of a pain homework could be when you’re trying to hang out with  your families and friends.

Students spend more time at school and working on their homework than adults spend at work. According to time.com “Even without sports or music or other school-sponsored extracurriculars, the daily homework slog keeps many students on the clock as long as lawyers, teachers, medical residents, truck drivers and other overworked adults.” Students shouldn’t have to work the same amount of time as adults.

Homework can lower students’ confidence. According to http://www.resolveofthebaystate.orgResearch studies of homework online show that low scores negatively affect students’ confidence to perform in school and sometimes in other areas.” Teachers shouldn’t want to feel bad about themselves, just because they didn’t get a high score on their homework.

If schools didn’t assign any homework, every student would be much happier.