Filed under Hale, Showcase

Would Schools Be better If They Were Later In the Day?

All around the world students begin their school day waking up at 7 am, but is this time too early? Recent data shows that a student´s health could be affected from these very early starting times.

Many schools are changing their times to later in the day because of certain studies. In a CNN article, Early School Start Times Unhealthy For Students, ¨They say that lack of sleep in adolescents causes poor academic performance and poses a serious public health concern.¨ This lack in sleep makes the students tired and focus less on their school work which leads to poor academic performance. For regular school students, they have to go to sleep very early to get the full amount of energy to be focused in their school work. This can be a challenge for students with all of their schoolwork having to be done and other extracurricular activities.

Serious psychological and physical health can arise from having early starting times? CNN published an article that   it  states some other health disadvantages,¨ The technical report released with the policy statement says that sleep-deprived teens tend to eat more carbohydrates and fats, with every hour of sleep that is lost increasing the odds of obesity by 80%. Adolescents that go to sleep at midnight or later are also more likely to suffer from depression and have suicidal thoughts.¨ The early school starting times not only will students be tired and not do their best in their school work but they will also be more likely to have life threatening disorders. These studies show that having school in an early time are not beneficial and should not be implemented today.

Starting school later in the day can result in benefits for the students. Later school times allow the students to do their best on their school work because of the energy they have. Schools that start later in the day have more rate of a better academic performance. Another benefit of having later school times is a decrease in tardy, absences, and dropouts.  The article Master Of Arts In teaching reported ¨When students slept adequately, they were less sluggish in the morning and more enthusiastic about going to school.¨ Making the school times later the school would have less dropout rates and raise the attendance.

Having schools change their starting time will give the students advantages that can potentially raise their grades. Those schools would have better attendance and an average in grades compared to schools with earlier starting times. Every school should take into account their starting time and how it will affect the students and their work.