Filed under Sports

BO Jackson

Bo Jackson, the eighth of ten children, was born and raised in Bessemer, Alabama, and was named after Vince Edwards, his mother’s favorite actor. His family described him as a “wild boar hog”, as he would constantly get into trouble. He attended school in McCalla , where he rushed for 1175 yards as a running back as a high school senior. Bo Jackson hit twenty home runs in 25 games for McAdory’s baseball team during his senior season. He was a two-time state champion in the decathlon. In 1982, Bo Jackson set state school records for indoor high jump 6’9 and triple jump 48’8.

Bo Jackson was a born athlete on November 30, 1962, in Bessemer, Alabama. Bo Jackson came to fame as a multi talented athlete, who excelled in baseball, football and track at an early age. Recruited by the New York Yankees before he was out of high school, Bo Jackson decided instead to attend Auburn University. In school, he led his baseball team to victory; became a football MVP and Sugar Bowl champ; and qualified for the US Olympic team in track and field.Going professional in 1986, he played for the Kansas City Royals, the Chicago White Sox and the California Angels. During his time in baseball, he was the 1989 All-Star Game MVP, achieved four 20-home-run seasons, and tied the record for most consecutive at-bat home runs with four home runs.

During his time playing for the Auburn football team, he ran for 4,303 career yards, which was the fourth best performance in SEC history. Bo Jackson finished his career with an average of 6.6 yards per carry, which set the SEC record minimum 400 rushes.In 1982, Bo Jackson’s freshman year, Auburn played Boston College in the, Tangerine Bowl where Bo Jackson made a one-handed grab on an option pitch. Auburn went on to win the game 33–26 as Jackson rushed 14 times for 64 yards and 2 touch downs. In 1983, as a sophomore, Bo Jackson rushed for 1,213 yards 1,109 yards on 158 carries, for an average of 7 yards per carry, which was the 2nd best single-season average in SEC history minimum 100 rushes. In the 1983 Auburn Alabama game, Bo Jackson rushed for 256 yards on 20 rushes 12.8 yards per carry, which at the time was the sixth-most rushing yards gained in a game in SEC history and the 2nd best yard-per-rush average in a game minimum 20 attempts in SEC history. Auburn finished the season by winning the Sugar Bowl against Michigan, where Jackson was named most valuable player. In 1984, Bo Jackson’s junior yearBo Jackson signed on with the L.A. Raiders in 1987. In his first season he ran a record-breaking 221-yard rushing performance on Monday Night Football. He spent four seasons in the game before an injury sidelined Jackson in 1991. He never returned to the game. Jackson became a popular figure for in the 1980s and 90s with his popular Bo Knows Nike campaign. Since then, he has made several television sitcom appearances and formed his own Bo Jackson Elite Sports Complex.