Filed under Hale, Showcase

What is High School Really Like?

Today we interviewed two high school students that go to El Camino. Their names are Kelsie and Cassidy and they also went to Hale. We asked them questions on how to survive high school and what high school is really like. Here are the answers that we got.

Question 1 : Are there a lot of bullies at your school ?

Answer : “There are not a lot of bullies at school, but there is about a fight a month that happens. Most bullying takes place over social media.”

Question 2: What  is the average personality of teachers?

Answer: “Most teachers are nice. It depends on how you act towards them. They normally take a very calm approach to disrespect in the classroom. They do not waste time on individuals and take action as far as we know. There are a lot of  people that mess around and are disruptive in class but teachers handle those situations very well.”

Question 3: Is it hard to maintain good grades?

Answer: “It isn’t that hard on keeping good grades but it does depend on what you do in your free time. If you hang out with friends and play video games the entire time then yes it is, but if you study and do your work in class it shouldn’t be that hard. It is easier to hang out with clubs and keep good grades than hang out with your friends and not do your work.”

Question 4 : Name one thing that you wished you knew before you got to high school.

Answer : “That first impressions are huge.  To make sure that you pick better friends and stay away from drama. The friends that you pick and hang out with will affect your grades and your reputation. Hanging out with all of the popular kids isn’t always the best thing to do. They can distract you from doing your work and may cause you to get bad grades.”

Question 5 : Is there any drug use and how do you stay away from it ?

Answer : “There is a lot of drug use unfortunately and people have been known to smoke weed. There was an incident where kids were smoking in class with a new teacher. Their advice is to stay away and say no to any offers.”

Questions 6 : What is the one thing that shocked you about high school?

Answer : “How people in high school are much more mature. There are still some jerks but mostly people are more mature. Another thing is that most people think that all of the people that do one activity always hang out with those people. Most people when they hang out they are mixed in with different people that do different things.”

Questions 7 : Are there any high school traditions?

Answer : “There is one thing called powerpuff games where cheerleaders play football and football players are cheerleaders and make up a routine and do a song and dance.”

Question 8 : What is the dress code like in high school?

Answer : “The dress code is very less restricted than middle school. The only rules are that there can not be any bandanas or any thing gang related. Also everything has to be covered. Most girls violate the dress code more often then the boys do.  Some girls wear things that are more revealing which gets them in trouble.”

Question 9 : What happens when you are late to class?

Answer: “The school is very strict on students being on time for their classes. There are security guards everywhere that will give you tardy slips. They want to teach you responsibility because it will prepare you for college. Most teachers and advisors at high school expect students to become young adults and not kids.”

Question 10 : What teachers remind you most of Mr. McCabe?

Answer : “Mr.Fluker, Mr.Mukasa, Dr.Milligan, Mr. Choi, Mr. Brinkus, and Mr. Williams remind us most of Mr. McCabe. They are all very good teachers and take a great approach towards teaching.”

Conclusion

“El Camino overall is a good school. Their academics and sports are very good. The teachers and counselors care about you and your future. They have many clubs for people of all different interests and so people can meet new friends. El Camino is a great place where you can go for high school.”